In my recent work with coaching clients, I’ve discovered that almost everyone is in a period of awakening and transition. This is not only true with clients, but family and friends alike seem to be in a process of re-evaluating their lives – where they are now and where they want to go. This motivation to look at ourselves and what we really want represents growth in new directions that lead to greater happiness and fulfillment.
As I was leafing through an old college journal, I came across this list of 25 questions to help you find your life’s purpose by Lance Beggs. It’s been a great tool for my clients, and so I share it here in hopes that it helps you, too.
25 Questions to Help You Find Your Life’s Purpose
- Who am I?
- What is the most important thing in my life?
- What do I love to do, more than anything else?
- If I only had six months left to live, what would I like to achieve?
- What would I like to leave the world, as my legacy?
- What do I still want to learn?
- What has been the greatest challenge that I have overcome so far in life? Could I help others overcome the same challenge?
- Who are the people I most admire and why?
- How would I define their life’s purpose?
- What qualities do these people possess that I’d also like to be known for?
- What activities do I most enjoy?
- What would I like to do, if only other people didn’t think it was silly?
- Where in the world would I most like to live and who would I live there with?
- Who would I most like to work with?
- What would my perfect day be like?
- What special gift do I have that I could give to the world?
- What makes me cry with joy?
- What is something that scares me a bit, but would be really exciting if I did it?
- What does my heart say I am to do with my life?
- What have I done in my life that I am really proud of?
- What am I doing when I suddenly realize time has flown by and all of my focus has been on that single task?
- Who in history would I most love to be and why?
- What do I most regret not doing so far in my life?
- At the end of my life, what would I most regret not having done?
- What is my life’s purpose?
Ponder these questions for a while. Pick out one that you can really relate to and ask yourself over and over, until you have an answer. Then take action. It is possible to live a life of purpose, passion and success!